Cribs are bulky and expensive, but baby has to sleep somewhere.
But what about a mini crib? The average mini crib (or portable crib) is 24 wide and 38 long, compared to the standard width of 28 and length of 52. And the best part is, mini cribs are a lot cheaper!
The features of a mini crib are the same as a standard crib. There is still the option of a deep or shallow crib mattress. There is also a wide range of colors and materials, as well as the option for a convertible portable crib that becomes a toddler bed or even twin bed later on.
|The Best Mini Crib||Why It's Best||Mom Rating|
|DaVinci Kalini Mini Crib||This affordable mini crib has 4 bed configurations for infants up to teens||♥♥♥♥♥|
|Babyletto Origami Mini Crib||This portable mini crib has locking wheels and foldable design.||♥♥♥♥♥|
|Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Crib||This lower-priced mini crib folds up with mattress inside.||♥♥♥♥♥|
|Dream on Me 4-in-1 Aden Convertible Crib||This crib has a 3 position mattress and can convert into a twin bed.||♥♥♥♥♥|
|BLOOM Alma Mini Crib||The safe and easy fold and small size are ideal for travel.||♥♥♥♥♥|
Best Mini Cribs
DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Mini Crib
The DaVinci Kalani Mini Crib adjusts to four sizes, making it easy to reach your little one when they are young and keeping them safe once they are older.
It can function as a crib, a mini-bed for toddlers, a day bed and a twin-size bed.
It is safe, durable, and fits well in the smaller spaces of your home.
In addition to exceeding the safety standards recommended by the U.S. CPSC and the international ASTM standards, the DaVinci Kalani crib is GreenGuard Gold Certified. It has been screened for more than 10,000 chemicals and 360 volatile organic chemicals. This means your little one won’t be inhaling dangerous fumes or coming into contact with lead, phthalates, and other dangerous chemicals.
A 1 waterproof mattress pad is included with this crib. While this is safe, it is not the most comfortable. Most babies will require you to purchase the thicker mattress. Additionally, though this is advertised as a convertible bed, you will have to purchase the conversion kit separately once it is time for your little one to move to a bigger bed.
The materials used are durable and solid. The included instructions are clear, which makes this fairly easy to assemble. Once assembled, the small size allows it to fit through most standard-sized doorways, so you can move it through your home. One downside to the materials used is that the soft finish is very easy to scratch.
- 4 bed configurations
- Adjustable mattress, higher for infants, lower for toddlers
- Easy to assemble
- Exceeds safety standards
- GreenGuard Gold certified safe for your little one
- The finish on the frame is easy to dent and scratch
- Need to buy an additional mattress for comfort
Babyletto Origami Mini Crib
The Babyletto Origami Mini Crib is made to be convenient in small spaces. It is a little pricier than other mini cribs, but it has features like lockable wheels and a collapsible design for easy storage.
Like the previous portable crib, this model is also GreenGuard Gold Certified. It is free of VOCs and other dangerous chemicals, however, some parents report a strong chemical-like smell when the mini crib is new.
Another nice safety feature of the Babyletto crib is its four locking wheels, which is convenient when moving between rooms in your home. The locking mechanism stops your little one from transporting themselves once they learn how to rock back and forth.
This mini crib is available with or without the mattress. It comes with a thin, 1 waterproof mattress pad that you can use with any of the crib mattresses you choose. Otherwise, your little one probably will not be comfortable.
One of its major benefits is its ability to fold up. This makes it easier to store and easier to bring along with you when your little one might need to sleep away from home. You also do not have to worry about fitting the mini crib through doors of your home, since you can fold it up and roll it where you need it.
The mattress has two different height positions to grow with your little one. The manufacturer recommendation states it can be used for children up to 18 months once it is in the lower position. However, the crib may not be a good choice for active sleepers past 6-9 months of age.
- GreenGuard Gold Certified
- Two mattress positions to grow with your child
- Folds up for convenient storage
- Very portable
- Wheels with locking mechanisms
- Not good for active sleepers past 6-9 months (but that is most mini cribs)
- May have a chemical smell when new
Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Crib
The Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Crib is functional and affordable. It features rolling wheels and convenient folding that makes transportation and storage easy.
While this mini crib does not have GreenGuard certification, it does meet or exceed government regulations on toxic chemicals in baby products. The crib has been tested for lead and other known harmful contaminants.
Unfortunately, despite the testing, there is a strong chemical smell when this is new. It is best to stick it in a room for 2-3 days and let it air out before using.
Another benefit of the Delta Children mini crib is the 2-position mattress. This adjusts through your little one’s lifetime, making them easy to reach when they are young and preventing them from falling out of the crib once they are older.
Like the previous model, this has rolling wheels that help you move the crib around your home. It also folds flat for transportation and storage, with the mattress sitting inside. These are nice features and they come at a much lower price than the Babyletto Origami crib mentioned above.
Even though the travel crib is sold at a lower price, a substantial mattress is included. This easily makes it a contender for the best mini crib on a budget. While the included mattress is 2-3 thick and thicker than other crib mattresses, some parents prefer buying a thicker mattress. If you buy crib sheets that are too small, the mattress will bunch up and fold.
Something else to note is that this can be difficult to assemble with the included instruction. However, Delta Children did create tutorial videos that can be watched online, which can make assembly easier for people who are struggling.
- Very affordable and comes with mattress
- Rolling wheels to help you move around your house
- Folds flat with the mattress inside for storage and transportation
- 2-position mattress
- Strong chemical smell
- Included mattress bends with small sheets
Don’t forget to check out the best-selling and top-rated matching nursery dresser from Delta.
Dream on Me 4-in-1 Aden Convertible Mini Crib
The Dream on Me 4-in-1 Aden Convertible Mini Crib is affordable, even with its many extra features. It can convert to a twin-size bed (with a conversion kit) once your child is older and features a design that sits lower to the floor than some of the other models.
As your little one grows, this crib has three height positions the mattress can be set at. This gives more flexibility than the options before. It is also ideal for shorter parents, who might have trouble reaching down to their little one once they are at the lowest setting in another crib.
This crib does not have GreenGuard Gold certification. However, it does meet or exceed all the standards by the International ASTM and the US CPSC. It has tested negative for lead and other toxic elements that might harm your child.
Parents who are not tool-savvy will love that all the tools you need are included with this crib. This makes it easier to assemble. There are also included instructions that explain each of the stages.
Purchasing the 4-in-1 convertible crib is only one part that you will need for converting. You can convert it to a day bed without any extra equipment. However, the bed frame, mattress, and twin-size rail are not included with this kit.
The 4-in-1 crib by Dream on Me is also significantly lighter than many of the other options. However, this lightweight design is still durable. It easily transforms into a day bed, as well, so it is the perfect companion for parents who plan to room share.
- Three positions for mattress
- Tools needed for assembly are included
- Converts to a day bed with included hardware
- Sits lower to the floor than some other models
- Need to buy additional parts for use as a twin bed
- Sits lower to the floor (could be an advantage for some parents)
Bloom Alma Mini Crib
The Bloom Alma Mini Crib has an ultra-tiny footprint for tight spaces. A bit on the expensive side, it has a modern design with many versatile use options. It’s patented design is sure to please.
This crib is sized just right for infants up to 12 months. It has 2 mattress height settings, so it works well from the very beginning of baby’s life up until they get too big and start trying to pull themselves out of the mini crib. The design is full of safety features that all lock into place for stability and safety.
The Alma mini crib is made from sustainable beech wood with low VOC finishes for less off-gassing and odor. All Bloom cribs are free from lead, phthalates, PVC, mdf products, and formaldehyde. Essentially all materials used are safe for baby.
Perhaps the best feature of this mini crib is the size. It’s already small and narrow, but it can fold further for storage or transport. Whether you want to scoot it closer to the bed or take it into the kitchen, the small size and lockable castor wheels make it easy to move from room to room.
The lifespan of this crib ultimately depends on the size of your baby. It measures 37.25″ L x 19.5″ W x 36″ H, so once baby gets taller, they won’t be able to fit. Most parents get about 12 months of use out of this mini crib.
The crib doesn’t require any tools or expert knowledge to set up. Just fold open the frame, lock the mattress support board into place, place the mattress in, and you are good to go!
- Small size fits in nearly any space
- Wheels make it easy to move
- Folds for travel or storage
- Easy to set up, no tools required
- Small size is outgrown quickly
- Mattress must be purchased separately
- Slightly expensive
Stokke Sleepi Mini Crib
If you have a healthy budget set aside for your baby’s bed, then you should consider the Stokke Sleepi Mini Crib. This option is not only uniquely beautiful, but it’s fully convertible and will last your child until they reach the double digits.
This baby bed has a height adjustable mattress that can move to 4 different positions to keep baby safely inside. The open rod design of the sides, combined with the perforated mattress support, allows for optimum airflow, which creates a safer sleep environment for baby.
It has lockable swivel wheels to keep baby where you put them.
The crib itself is made from solid beech wood, beech laminate, and beech plywood. All the glues used are water-based and the whole thing is free from VOCs. The foam pad mattress that’s included is hypo-allergenic.
Many parents love that this crib has a unique oval shape. The drapery rod on the top allows for a net or canopy, which only adds to the great style.
You can use the mini crib when baby is small, then you can purchase the Stokke Sleepi Bed Extensions to turn this into a normal size crib. The normal size crib can then convert into a toddler bed. Purchase the Stokke Junior Extensions and you can convert the bed to be 67.6 inches long, which is just a few inches shy of a standard twin bed size.
Throughout all the baby stages, you can use the castor wheels for movement when you need it. Take them off for stability during the toddler and older years. Also, you can still use the various mattress heights during the different stages.
Beware that this is an expensive mini crib option. But if you consider that you shouldn’t have to buy a separate toddler bed or twin bed, then it’s not all that bad of a deal.
- Unique design with oval shape and canopy
- Expands into 3 other beds for your child
- Comes with mini crib, mattress, and drapery rod
- 4 mattress positions
- Wheels for portability
- Set up and extension process is tedious
- Hard to find sheets in small, rounded size
Portable or Mini Crib FAQs
Should I buy a mini crib or standard crib?
As the major difference between these types of crib is size, the biggest decision is deciding how each crib will fit into your life. Here are some reasons to buy a mini crib:
- You have multiples- Parents of twins, triplets, and other multiples might invest in a mini crib to save size, especially if they are planning on having them share a nursery.
- Your little one visits relatives frequently- There is a certain comfort with being able to leave your baby with someone you trust. If your child visits grandparents or other relatives frequently, it might be a good idea to purchase a mini crib for trips.
- You expect your child to transition early- Once babies learn to climb, it isn’t the best idea to keep them in a crib. Mini cribs are a good choice for these times since your little one will be ready to transition before they outgrow their cribs.
- You are trying to save space- Parents who want to room share while their baby is young might invest in a mini crib, which will last longer than a bassinet without being as bulky as a crib. Portable cribs are also good for small nurseries or apartments.
Are mini cribs convertible?
Like standard cribs, some models are designed convertible and others only fit your baby until they are ready to transition to a toddler bed. There are also different mattress sizes, with some having a 3-4 depth and others having a 5-6 depth. If you decide that a standard-sized crib mattress might better fit your needs, be sure to check out our baby crib reviews.
What should I consider when buying a portable crib?
Like any decision you make as a parent, buying a mini crib requires careful consideration. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Safety – Safety should always be a top priority with any baby furniture. Features like strong mattress supports and slats, as well as the exclusion of drop-side rails, are monitored by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. All mini cribs should have this accreditation. You can also be sure your little one is safe by following the recommended safe sleep guidelines for babies.
- Portability – Mini cribs are designed to be convenient. It is not uncommon for them to have wheels that let you move them from room to room. This is perfect for parents who want to keep their little one close while doing housework or moving around. Some models are also collapsible, which makes them easier to carry if you are dropping your little one off at their grandparents or with a nanny, although for that, you could consider a portable bassinet.
- Size – Even though the standard size for a portable crib is 24 by 38, some are designed more compact. While the length might not be an issue for a long time, some children may feel cramped in a mini crib that is designed more narrow than the standard size. You should also consider the availability of mattresses and crib sheets for the size you choose.
- Versatility – Even basic mini cribs should grow with your child. Consider factors like mattress positioning and if the bed is convertible. If you do not want a convertible crib, you should still consider one that has at least two mattress positions. The higher position will make it easier to move your baby in and out of the crib, while the lower position will keep them safe once they are rolling around, sitting, and crawling. You can even find mini cribs with a changing table attached for added versatility.
Mini cribs are a smaller, more affordable alternative than traditional cribs.
If you aren’t sure which would be a better fit, take a tape measure and mark the areas in your child’s nursery or your bedroom where you will be setting up the crib. This will help you visualize how each option will fit, so you can make the best choice for your family.
Once you know what size you want, you can begin deciding on extra features and if you want a traditional-stye crib or a convertible one.