Shopping for baby furniture is always a challenge, but baby dressers are particularly difficult. You want something appropriate for when your baby is small; but because babies grow at a rapid pace, it also needs to work for larger children. Plus, some people like their dresser to also serve as a baby changing station. I know I did.
Then, there are the concerns about quality, durability, child safety, and price. Don’t worry. I’ve taken all of those factors into consideration to select the very best baby dressers available. Here’s my list.
|Product Category||Why It Is Best||Mom Rating|
|Delta Children Universal 6 Drawer Dresser||Whether you value style or safety, this dresser has it all. Plus, it’s very reasonably priced.||♥♥♥♥♥|
|Ethan Allen Disney Carolwood Small Dresser||Ethan Allen makes high-quality furniture and their newest Mickey Mouse-themed line is sure to delight Disney lovers of all ages.||♥♥♥♥♥|
|Badger Basket Sleigh Style Changing Table||This was the dresser/changing table that I chose for my own children. Now, it lives on with my nephew.||♥♥♥♥♥|
|Evolur Madison Double Dresser||Highly rated, beautiful and classy if you can afford it.||♥♥♥♥♥|
|Storkcraft Avalon 6 Drawer Universal Dresser||Sleigh shaped styling, high-quality materials and the most popular baby dresser on Amazon.||♥♥♥♥♥|
Delta Children Universal 6 Drawer Dresser
I like to be a frugal person. I like value and feeling like I’m getting a good deal for my money, and that’s how I feel about the Delta Children Universal 6 Drawer Dresser.
An Impressive Value
This dresser has everything that I look for: it’s solid wood, the drawers are on metal rails with a stopper system, it’s got an anti-tipping device, and it’s beautiful. The style is classic, so the dresser can continue to be used even as your child grows.
It meets and exceeds my expectations. Plus, it’s priced fairly. To me, this is the top baby dresser.
- Dimensions: 48.5″L x 20.75″W x 34.75″H
- Weight: 120 pounds
- Interior drawer dimensions: 19.5″ x 14″ x 5″
- Is assembly required?: Yes.
What I Love
- Simple, classic design: Whether you’re shopping for a small dresser for yourself or a baby dresser, this piece of furniture is classic and lovely. Because of its timeless design, this dresser will be a beautiful addition to any room no matter the design or theme.
- Drawers with safety stops: In solid dressers, safety stops are a must to ensure the safety of your child. It’s so comforting to know that your child can’t pull a filled wood drawer out on top of themselves.
- Anti-tipping device: Kids use drawers as steps. This can lead to tipping the dresser. That’s why it’s so important to use the anti-tipping device to secure your dresser once it’s assembled and ready to be installed.
- It comes in 6 colors: The colors include espresso cherry (pictured above), black, black cherry, dark chocolate, grey, and white.
- It’s reasonably priced: Considering you’re buying a substantial piece of furniture, this dresser is very reasonably priced.
- Eligible for free replacement parts: This means that if, while assembling your dresser, you discover that you’re missing some pieces or have a damaged piece; you can easily get a replacement without having to disassemble and return your dresser. For anyone who has never assembled their own furniture, let me assure you that this is very important!
- 90 day limited manufacturer’s warranty: It’s always reassuring to see a manufacturer’s warranty on a piece of furniture. This way, you know that if something goes wrong and you somehow have a fluke defect, you’re covered.
What I Don’t Love
- Assembly: Although I can do it, I don’t love assembling things myself (particularly substantial pieces of furniture). That’s a task that I’d rather leave to the pros.
- The drawer size: I’m not sure that I would prefer 6 smaller drawers to one larger drawer.
- An odor?: Some people have complained about a strong odor. It even triggered one woman’s asthma. These chemicals can be dangerous to your health and the health of your baby. If you have a smelly dresser, make sure to let the pieces air outside before assembly.
Ethan Allen Disney Carolwood Small Dresser
Among the many things that I love are Disney, subtle humor, and quality furniture. Immediately, the Ethan Allen Disney Carolwood Small Dresser caught my eye. It’s a plain piece without fancy woodwork; but when you look carefully, you’ll notice that the knobs are all Mickey Mouse. This small detail is what turns this dresser into a Disney piece.
Ethan Allen Makes Quality Furniture
My mom’s first splurge was Ethan Allen furniture for her house–every single room. When she was pregnant with me, she didn’t even need to go shopping for my dresser; she just used some of the Ethan Allen that she had. That furniture, which is over 40 years old, is still in my bedroom at my parent’s house in absolutely perfect condition. So, I have a strong conviction that Ethan Allen furniture is built to last and that’s because I have seen it last through my life thus far.
- Dimensions: 35″w x 18″d x 34.5″h
- Weight: 107 pounds
- Number of drawers: 5
- Is assembly required?: Yes, but a professional from the Ethan Allen Premier In-Home Delivery will deliver, place, and assemble your piece(s).
What I Love
- Someone else will assemble this for me: Although I’ve gotten good at assembly, I would much prefer for a professional to do it–particularly if I’m also having to deal with pregnancy brain.
- The mid-century modern design: Frequently, baby dressers are sort of a standard, plain item. I love seeing some design and thought into something that should easily last with your baby for over a decade.
- Safety stops to keep the drawers in place: These are a crucial feature in my opinion. The last thing you want is for your child to pull a heavy drawer out.
- A soft close mechanism on the drawers: Kids like to bang doors and drawers. With the soft close mechanism, these drawers won’t be making any loud banging noises.
- It’s simple, yet adorable: This isn’t a flashy furniture piece, but it’s fun; and its simple design should help keep this piece incorporated in your child’s room as he or she grows.
- It comes in 3 colors: The color choices are toffee (as shown above), white, and “mouse grey.”
What I Don’t Love
- The price: This dresser is double to triple the price of the other dressers on this list.
- A possible delivery charge: I would imagine that there will be a delivery charge, but I’m not sure what that is. I wish the company were more forthcoming with information about this fee.
Badger Basket Sleigh Style Changing Table
The Badger Basket Sleigh Style Changing Table is the changing table/dresser that I decided on for my firstborn. We used this as a changing station, dresser, and toy storage unit for my first child right up until I had the second child three years later. Then, it moved on to the new baby. Now, it’s with my nephew.
Sometimes, Less Is More
This dresser is the least substantial of all the other dressers that I’ve mentioned. Only the frame is wooden, and it’s very sturdy. The drawers are made from a canvas that kept its form for a surprisingly long time.
Part of the reason why I selected this dresser was because of the drawers. I wanted something very lightweight so that if my child pulled the drawer out on top of himself, he wouldn’t really get hurt. This didn’t turn out to be an issue as often as I thought it would, but it was helpful at least one or two times per child.
- Dimensions: 37.5″ x 19″ x 37.5″
- Weight: 36.3 pounds
- Number of drawers: 6
- Drawer dimensions: Small baskets are 9.5″ L x 17.25″ W x 7″ H. Large baskets are 20.25″ L x 17.25″ W x 7″ H.
- Is assembly required?: Yes.
What I Love
- Sturdy, lightweight canvas drawers: I was really surprised at how long these canvas drawers kept their shape. In order to help your drawers keep their shape, avoid putting heavy objects in the top or second row of drawers.
- Drawers of two different sizes: When my boys were babies, I loaded the top large drawer with diapers, wipes, and creams. I put extra Diaper Genie refills in the top small drawer. Then, the second-row drawers were filled with clothes, and the bottom row was filled with toys.
- Great price: Of all the listed baby dressers, this one is the least expensive.
- It comes in 3 colors: You can choose from gray (pictured), cherry (which was my choice), and black.
- Its reversible design: Turn it how you’d like; set it how you’d like. These drawers slide all the way through and the front and back of the dresser are identical. This means you could even have this dresser/changing station standing in the middle of a room.
What I Don’t Love
- The form of the drawers breaks down with time and weight: I made a mistake early on by placing some heavy books in the large middle drawer. I noticed that the drawer started to sag, so I moved that drawer to the bottom so the supporting rails could support the sag of the drawer. From then on, I did my best to keep the contents of the drawers light.
- Assembly: While the directions were very straightforward, some of the holes were not drilled to be as large as they needed to be. My pregnant self was literally on the verge of tears, staring at this last hole that wouldn’t seem to line up and coming to grips with the notion that I was going to have to take this piece of furniture apart and mail it back to the company. Luckily, that didn’t happen because my husband saw that the final hole just needed to be a bit bigger, and he fixed it.
Evolur Madison Double Dresser
The Evolur Madison Double Dresser is the highest priced and probably the most elegant dresser on this list.
With large and small drawer sizes offset and decorative trim it goes beyond many of the plainer pieces you find in a lot of nurseries. It includes quality features like dovetailed drawer joints to make them last much longer, hardwood materials and 3 tier glides for smooth operating drawers.
Evolur also makes a crib in the same Antique Grey Mist color to match the dresser.
Storkcraft Avalon 6 Drawer Universal Dresser
Last on the best dresser list is the Storkcraft Avalon 6 Drawer Universal Dresser. This is the best selling nursery dresser on Amazon for several reasons:
- It is pretty – The sleigh design is classic
- It is functional – The drawers are big and the construction is solid
- It is Storkcraft – Storkcraft is a good brand and there are many matching pieces to choose from
The sides and back go up beyond the top so that you can place a changing pad on top. Although that might be tempting, be very careful because there is no rail or side on the front. You’ll be better off having a separate piece that is safe and designed to be a changing table.
All of the above-mentioned baby dressers will be safe and beautiful in your baby’s room. Really, it all comes down to personal preference in regards to style and price. I chose the Badger Basket Sleigh Style Changing Table for my first child, and we used it for my second.
However, if I were shopping again, I would probably choose the Delta Children Universal 6 Drawer Dresser. It meets and exceeds all of my expectations. Plus, I like that this one purchase ends the quest for the perfect dresser for this child until he or she is much bigger.