Can this cozy lounger really take the worry out of co-sleeping?
It seems like co-sleeping is one of those things that you’re either entirely for or totally against. I know that I co-slept with both of my children. For us, it was more convenient because we all got a lot more sleep! But it is a scary thing, too. Many nights I would wake up worried that I had rolled on the baby or that he had gotten stuck under the blankets or a pillow.
One way to take away some of that worry is a co-sleeping pad or baby lounger, like the Snuggle Me Organic. This wonderful pad gives baby their own little nest in the bed. It snuggles around them to keep them feeling cozy and secure. It’s made with all-natural materials, no chemicals, and the softest organic cotton. The Snuggle Me Organic is a fantastic piece of baby gear that I never even knew I needed until I tried it! Check price on Amazon.
See how the Snuggle Me Organic Compares to Dock a Tot
Better Sleep for All
Sleep and new babies just don’t go together. I’m still not sure who came up with the phrase “sleeping like a baby,” because babies don’t sleep a lot and they don’t sleep soundly. You can get some good baby naps, though. And the Snuggle Me is here to help.
Co-Sleeping and Safety
There are some pretty vague guidelines when it comes to co-sleeping. They pretty much just say to be aware of baby and be safe. One of the most obvious concerns is rolling over onto the baby during the middle of the night. Another big concern is baby getting their face trapped under a pillow, under a blanket, or against the mattress and running the risk of suffocation. As baby gets older and can hold their own in terms of getting comfortable and getting into a different position, it’s less of a concern.
But during those first few months, it’s wise to have a safeguard for baby, should you choose to co-sleep. That’s why a lounger like the Snuggle Me is a good idea. It creates a nest for baby in the bed. There’s no chance of them accidentally rolling over and suffocating. There’s also raised edges all around them to protect them from being rolled on. I know that me and my husband both slept more soundly when baby was safe in her little Snuggle Me nest.
One thing I will say about this co-sleeper is that it takes up a considerable portion of the bed. It measures about 27 inches by 14 inches. Considering that the average queen-sized bed is only 60 inches wide, it means that each person in the bed will have less than 2 feet of width to sleep on. If you like to spread out while you sleep, this could be a problem. My husband sleeps on this back, and I only had enough room to sleep on my side when we used this co-sleeping pad. But, if you’ve only got one person in the bed, or if you have a king-sized bed, you should be fine.
A Well-Rested Baby is a Happy Baby
Beyond providing peace of mind for parents, the Snuggle Me Organic can actually help your baby to sleep more soundly and for a longer period of time. No, it’s not a fix-all for baby sleeping issues. It won’t guarantee that baby will sleep through the night without a peep, but it can mean some better and longer naps. Here’s how it promotes better rest:
- Prevents startling awake. You know how your baby does that thing where they suddenly get scared and look like they’re falling through space when you lay them on their back? Yeah, that’s the startle reflex, or Moro reflex. Once baby is out of that cozy womb, they feel a bit like they’re out in the open. Since this lounger snuggles them on all sides with padding, they’re less likely to get that startle reflex. That means that they won’t be startled out of a nap. For an added bonus, swaddle your baby and lay them in the lounger. They’ll be snug as a bug with no startling awake.
- Cradled sleeping position. The unique design of the Snuggle Me Organic means that it can truly hold your baby on all sides. It has a sling in the middle, and once you lay baby on the sling, it causes the sides to come up and around baby. It’s like padded arms hugging your baby. And it really does give a deep, padded little nest that feels as close to mom or dad’s arms as possible. This is a great solution for those babies who simply refuse to be laid down on a flat mattress to sleep alone.
- Safe spine position. You know that sling we just talked about? Well, it has more purposes than just bringing the sides up. First, it helps baby stay on their back. The sling gives them a little raised and un-padded spot to lay on, which prevents them from turning or rolling. Second, the sling helps keep their spine in a neutral position. Since they are raised up, it takes all the stress and weight off of their little spine, which is much more comfortable and good for them from a chiropractic standpoint.
- Recreates the womb. At the beginning, the whole point of using one of these loungers is to recreate how the baby feels in the womb. They feel cozy and secure in the womb, which is probably not how they feel splayed out on a crib mattress. Feeling cuddled and warm means that baby will sleep more soundly and wake more content, just like they did before they were born.
- Usable for many months. The design of this lounger will fully enclose most newborns inside the nest it creates. As babies get older, their legs will eventually dangle off of the edge. Snuggle Me says that this is part of the design and that’s how it should be. This position is still comfy for most babies, but safety becomes an issue once baby can roll off. I found that at about the 4 and half month mark, my long and rolling daughter couldn’t use the pillow. So while it’s advertised for up to 6 months, you may not feel safe using it for that long. But this pillow will still give you several months of glorious sleep!
Why the Snuggle Me?
Better co-sleeping? Check. But what about all the other times baby needs to sleep or lay down? This snuggly pad has got you covered at home, abroad, and everywhere in between. It’s lightweight and the perfect size for travel.
Sleeping on the Go
If you’ve ever traveled with an infant, you know that finding them a spot to sleep is tricky. You don’t want to pack up half the house with you, so bringing a crib or a pack n play is out of the question sometimes. That’s when one of these loungers comes in handy. You can make baby’s bed nearly anywhere! Put them in a hotel bed with you. Put them in their own hotel bed. Make them a little nest on the couch. You could even make their bed on the floor (gross if you are at a hotel, okay if you are staying with friends and family). The Snuggle Me takes on the firmness of whatever surface you lay it on because the bottom isn’t padded. So while a floor is the last resort, the bed and couch can become ideal sleeping spots no matter where you are.
Not Just for Sleeping
We’ve thoroughly covered how the Snuggle Me makes sleep better. But what about when baby is not sleeping? Well, you can still use this lounger for those times too. If you need to get something done and you need to lay baby down, consider this a really safe place to do so. They’ll lay comfy and content on the couch while you do what you must. But my favorite alternative use for this pad is for tummy time. My kids hated tummy time, until they did it on an elevated surface. That extra padding under the chest and arms really helped them to enjoy the exercise and strengthen their neck. Need another use for it? It makes a great changing station. It will keep baby still and somewhat immobilized while you change their diaper. Works great in the car on trips! Rest assured (pun intended), the Snuggle Me is usable during the daytime, too.
Only the Best for Baby
My grandma likes to tell me that I’m being paranoid about what I put around my baby. I like to think that I’m keeping my baby safe by choosing only the best materials for my baby gear. It’s soft, natural, and organic materials and the finest workmanship are certainly reflected by it’s pretty steep price.
Having a high-quality place for baby to sleep is important. After all, it’s probably where they’ll spend the majority of the first few months of their life. So you want it to be both durable and good for baby. This lounger won’t disappoint. It’s made by hand in the USA. Each and every lounger is handled by a real person, not by a mass-production machine. It’s sewn and stuffed with only the best organic materials and lots of love. Each piece is inspected for any flaw. Snuggle Me offers a 30 night guarantee on all their pillows, but I would expect that from such an expensive pillow!
Other than being top quality, Snuggle Me uses materials that are very soft. The organic cotton that covers the Snuggle Me is soft. None of the crinkly feeling that some cheaper cottons have. And none of the chemicals, either. The materials are GOTS certified organic and CPSIA regulated, which means that they are the real deal, since these are some of the world’s strictest standards. The cotton is sourced from reputable, family-owned companies. The polyester fiberfill is hand-stuffed into these cozy shells and provides just the right amount of padding for baby. Extra perk: the soft and organic cover is totally removable and washable, and so is the lounger itself.
The whole Snuggle Me Organic pillow is safe for baby. It’s made with none of this icky stuff: flame retardants, BPAs, phthalates, ethylene glycol, or other harmful chemicals. All of the materials are hypoallergenic. Besides the materials, the design of this baby lounger pillow is safe, too. There’s no buckles, clasps, clips, or ties for baby to become entangled in. There were a few times that I wished that I could buckle baby in so that she wouldn’t roll away as she got older. So the lack of securing straps of some kind is both a positive and a negative.
After 8 Months
- Makes co-sleeping safer
- Cradles baby for better sleep
- Great for travel
- Works for tummy time and changing diapers, too
- High quality with great materials
- Baby grows out of it quickly
- No way to secure baby to pillow
Anything that promises such a good night’s sleep as the Snuggle Me Organic is worth a shot. If you want to co-sleep, then I highly recommend trying this pillow. The peace of mind that it provides is totally worth it. You’ll feel better about baby being safe in the bed, and your baby will also get cuddled to sleep as if they were in the womb or your arms. This pillow is a life-saver if your baby always wants to be held and starts wailing when you try to lay them down. The organic cotton cover is nice, and the workmanship is fantastic, but I would pay less for the pillow design with just a regular cotton cover. Because the price of this lounger is steep. At the end of the day, take the financial plunge and give it a try. If you don’t find that it’s amazingly helpful (which it is during those first 3 months), you can return it under the 30-night guarantee.